For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
All it takes is one new card to take a strategy from “nearly impossible to pull off” to “user friendly.” Kevin Jaeger follows in Johannes Klarhauser’s footsteps and talks about another uncommon that opens the door to...

The Long Journey...Away?

Kevin Jaeger

As I discussed more than a month ago, What You Leave Behind offers a bounty of new strategies and ways of making existing ones a heck of a lot easier. Some of these strategies are certainly more obvious than others. Today, I’m going to talk about one of the more obscure (albeit riskier) strategies that just got a lot easier. That strategy is The Long Journey Home.

When played on your Caretaker's Array, The Long Journey Home allows you to win the game if you have completed four [DQ] [S] missions and you have 100 or more points; it requires you to command three [Voy] personnel to play it. Previously, Voyager players, and to a lesser extent Maquis players, were the only ones able to easily get three [Voy] personnel into play. Everyone else had to really struggle using The Play's the Thing with The Inner Light (for non-Borg ) and assimilation for Borg. The resources required to pull it off hardly made it worth trying, but for those of you who’ve wanted to achieve success, Tuvix (Symbiogenesis) is the card you’ve been waiting to get your hands on.

The combination of Tuvix (Symbiogenesis), Kes (Curious Ocampa) and Neelix (Morale Officer) now opens the door to getting three [Voy] personnel into play without the need to use any other cards...well, except for having to remove two other personnel from the game as per Tuvix’s game text. Another great thing is that together they provide twelve different skills. Armed with my three [Voy] personnel, the only major question I have left to figure out is which headquarters I want to use. For that, I feel the need to give a little backstory.

The other day, my friend and fellow Trek player Aaron and I were sitting in the local card store playing a few games of Trek. He had been working on a [DS9] Captain's Log Deck for awhile and was getting it to where he wanted. He was fairly happy with it, but with the new set out, several of the new cards were causing it problems. So he asked me, “How can I make this deck better? How can I make Captain’s Log more efficient?” I mulled it over for a minute and responded, “Do more space missions? Avoid planets altogether?” To which he responded, “How can I do that? I have to do a planet mission to win.” I thought about it for a second and replied, “Well, I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to exploit The Long Journey Home. You could use Kes, Neelix and Tuvix.” We had our idea, now we just had to modify his existing deck to make the strategy work and work efficiently.

Now, I understand I’m not the first person to write about a deck focusing on Captain’s Log, but part of designing a truly competitive deck is identifying weaknesses in prior incarnations, and trying to find ways of shoring-up those weaknesses without clogging the deck. One of the weaknesses of a Captain’s Log deck is that it typically packs multiples of the corresponding Commander(s) in order to guarantee drawing them and having replacements. This results in a lot of dead draws. The solution: Optimism, These Are the Voyages and If Wishes Were Horses. With the first two, you have the option of putting the cards in the discard pile in order to out maneuver an opponent using The Caretaker’s “Guests” or under the deck and netting a replacement card... thus, turning a “dead” draw into a more “live” one. As I mentioned in my previous article, These Are the Voyages has the added function of allowing you to search through your deck quicker. If Wishes Were Horses will allow you to search for Captain on the Bridge, Optimism, The Long Journey Home or Captain’s Log. In this deck, you absolutely need to be able to get Captain’s Log onto the table early before you begin completing missions. In the mid to late game, you will need to be able to drop Kes, Neelix, Tuvix and The Long Journey Home.

Another weakness is effectively dealing with a more aggressive opponent, or at least his or her dilemmas. Since your crew will be out in space on your ship, in the delta quadrant, you will be very vulnerable to attack from the Borg, the Hirogen, the Kazon, the Vidiians, the Krenim, the Bo’mar, the Swarm, other hostile aliens... you get the idea. How are you going to deal with it? Simple, use the U.S.S. Defiant (Patrolling Warship) to handle space battles. You should always have a Commander on board, so utilizing its game text should be no problem.

Yet another weakness, given the tight personnel grouping, is the difficulty in dealing with certain "problem" dilemmas. Back to Basics, Distraction, Secret Identity, Shocking Betrayal, Gomtuu Shock Wave, Distress Call, Fesarius Bluff, Gorgan, Tactical Disadvantage, Center of Attention and Counterinsurgency Program will all provide hard stops or will remove personnel you may need and can’t replace. To combat this, you will need Krim (Thoughtful Tactician). Staring down Kaiser’s Optimism plus Back to Basics combo? No problem. Complete Caretaker’s Array and spend five of your extra points to place any copies he/she may have under the mission. Unless your opponent is playing with the Phoenix (Risen from the Ashes), you should be able to Krim twice and still have 100 points.

Finally, another glaring weakness is that you will have to complete four missions. Even though you are likely going to be able to bypass most of your opponent’s dilemmas, you should still assume you will get stopped. You must assume a bad draw where you are not out and attempting until turn five or six. The solution: a solid dilemma pile. You must buy yourself the time to make up one to two missions on your opponent. For simplicity's sake, and the fact that it’s a proven dilemma pile, we’ll use the same dilemma pile we used for the last deck I wrote about. Since I wrote about it last time, I’ll save the analysis.

Now that we have the weaknesses shored up, let’s move on to some of the other tools and weapons of the deck... to help make the deck better and further its goals. Captain on the Bridge is there to help lower costs and provide the means of getting Thomas Riker (Defiant Leader) and Kudak’Etan (Arrogant First) into play. How Would You Like a Trip to Romulus? will help you get your Commanders easier. Aluura (Nice to Everyone) will get you free card draws and set you up to peek at the top card so that Mardah (Quite a Writer) can help you recycle key cards that get put in the discard pile. Mardah could also distract your opponent with her amazingly…huge…talent…for writing. Moving on. … Miles O’Brien (Repair Chief) will help you protect key events and allow you to have them on the table without paying for them a second time. A pair of Bat’leths will help you get past Center of Attention – a dilemma for which you have no other answer. Lastly, a single Flaxian Scout Vessel provides emergency back-up in case you need to get personnel to or from your headquarters, and can provide a place for some extra personnel to hang-out while you micro-team a mission.

Lastly, even though we’ve done the best we can shoring up weaknesses, there are bound to be some that can’t be helped. Speed is the primary one for this deck. With high-cost personnel, the need to get key events on the table, and little in the way of cost reduction, you will be lucky to get out to your first mission attempt on turn five or six. That is why I suggest that if this deck tickles your fancy, feel free to modify it to your liking and let me know what you’ve come up with!

Regardless of its strengths and weaknesses, you now have a deck you can momentarily shock-and-awe an opponent with! Imagine the facial expression that will register on your opponent’s face when you spread out your mission set and reveal four space missions and no planet missions. Even if I lose, I know I’ll find that first expression worth it.

Missions
Assault on Species 8472
Caretaker’s Array
Collect Omicron Particles
Explore Micro-Wormhole
Mouth of the Wormhole (Deep Space 9)

Draw Deck
Equipment
2 Bat’leth

Events
3 Captain on the Bridge
3 Captain’s Log
3 How Would You Like a Trip to Romulus?
3 Optimism
2 The Long Journey Home
3 These Are the Voyages

Interrupts
2 If Wishes Were Horses

Personnel
1 Aluura (Nice to Everyone)
3 Benjamin Sisko (Defiant Captain)
2 Jadzia Dax (Defiant Captain)
1 Kes (Curious Ocampa)
3 Khan Noonien Singh (Bold Man)
2 Krim (Thoughtful Tactician)
2 Kudak’ Etan (Arrogant First)
1 Mardah (Quite a Writer)
3 Martia (Duplicitous Chameloid)
1 Miles O’Brien (Repair Chief)
1 Neelix (Morale Officer)
2 Thomas Riker (Defiant Leader)
2 Tosk (The Hunted)
1 Tuvix (Symbiogenesis)
2 Worf (Defiant Commander)

Ships
1 Flaxian Scout Vessel
1 U.S.S. Defiant (Patrolling Warship)

Dilemma Pile
Dual
1 Agonizing Encounter
2 An Issue of Trust
1 Chula: The Chandra
1 Dignitaries and Witnesses
1 Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?
2 Hard Time
2 Moral Choice
1 Old Differences
1 Shocking Betrayal
1 Temptation
2 The Caretaker’s “Guests”
1 The Dal’Rok

Planet
1 Aftereffects
1 Assassination Attempt
1 Excalbian Drama
1 Gangsters’ Welcome
1 Rogue Borg Ambush

Space
1 Fesarius Bluff
2 Gomtuu Shock Wave
1 Outclassed
2 Personal Duty
1 Preventative Repurcussions
1 Unbelievable Emergency
1 Where No One Has Gone Before

Kevin Jaeger will return in… “From Bajor With Love”
Last edited by Andreas Colter on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Interesting. I tried something like this lst summer with Athos IV, but with Tuvix, the DS9 Build offers several upgrades that could make this archetype significantly more viable. Makes me wonder if it's time to bust out my old Far-Seeing Eyes deck.... :P

Nice work on the deck and Article, Kevin

-Brian
Last edited by Armus on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Fun! I tried this deck out - as written - at the SD tournament on 3/22/8. I had a great time, even though it went 1-2.

I had a satisfying win against Johnny, though it was so lopsided that we both thought the deck might be a bit too good. The next two rounds though, the two Thomas's (V&K) put me in my place : ) I used Krim for Fesarius Bluff and Back to Basics, and there was pretty much nothing left to slow me down.

In the second round the deck got off to a quick start, but at the first attempt Thomas V managed to Secret Identity Martia. I brought her back, but as the new copy wasn't a matching commander she was vulnerable to random death. After several failed attempts I was forced to bring in Kes for the bio. I Krim'd four times for dilemmas that kept stopping me such as Antedian Assassins, but he just kept pulling other cards out to stop me. Shocking Betrayal, Tactical Disadvantage, etc. Thomas V is an artist when playing dilemmas, and can be counted on to know what you have in your away team better that you. I Couldn't finish a second mission and lost 100-0. I made a few mistakes in this game, but nothing that would have let me come back from that.

In the third round, Thomas K dropped three machinations before I could get out of the gate, and proceeded to stop me repeatedly at Caretaker's Array. He dropped 3 Tactical Disadvantages and a Gorgon to stop me cold four times, and his slick and quick Dominion Defiant deck slid through three missions before I could continue.

I jumped in front of the bye for the last round like a good tournament director, so I didn't get a final chance to try the deck. Notes:

Good: There is something deviously fun about watching your opponent look at their dilemmas over and over again, hoping to find something that will work against the madness you have thrown at them. When it works, it is beautiful. I didn't fear being attacked with the Defiant, and the event protection was more than enough to protect what I needed.

Bad: If your opponent can get a few hard stops at Caretaker's Array, they may be able to run away with it. This deck relies on the come-from-behind speed of blowing through useless dilemmas. Without being able to use Krim, a couple of stops at the first mission can wreck your plans.

Ugly: When it works really really well, the opponent will be left with a bad taste in their mouth. I wouldn't wish this on a newbie. Are there any of those left?

Next: With the hologram Voyager personnel, this deck could be remade at Athos IV using the Maquis Defiant. In the three games I played, I found that after the crew of 8 were out, there really wasn't much to do with my counters. How about adding some Maquis nonsense? Biogenic Weapon, Strange New Worlds, Cascade Virus and Improvised Modifications could really slow the opponent down.

Thanks for the article! I look forward to trying this one again.
Last edited by SirDan on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I used this deck in the first Virginia TOC. If I had not made a stupid blunder in my second game, I would have gone 4-1 instead of 3-2. I did use a different dilemma pile that was suggested by someone else, and that one worked fairly well. The problem was Corbett's speed deck. He just kept killing my Captain's Log on each of his turns. But I also figured out a way of altering this deck. Play out all of your events and people, saving all of the matching Commanders until you have all three Captain on the Bridge in play. Then go out. With Optimism in play, this worked nice. It is still slow, but depending on your local meta, it could work very well.
Last edited by charlie on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My apologies. I reviewed which dilemma pile I took to the TOC and noticed that I did take the one in this article. I thought that I had switched it with another one from a different article. I have made a couple changes to this one and will let you know after the next tournament how it does.

I did add the following cards to this deck:

In a Mirror, Darkly x2
Running a Tight Ship (which I have now removed as mostly useless against the decks I faced)
One Man Can Summon the Future (to rearrange my deck when needed)
Ezri Tigan Soldier of Fortune (for Tuvix)
U.S.S. Defiant Patrolling Warship (instead of HWYLATTR to combat dilemmas that require a ship in hand or high cost card)

I left out the following cards that there were multiple copies of:

Captain's Log
How Would You Like a Trip to Romulus?
Optimism
Benjamin Sisko Defiant Captain
Khan Noonien Singh Bold Man
Martia Duplicitous Chameloid
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]